There are hundreds of ways you can improve your app or website's performance, but few have the potential to improve your app or website's responsiveness as much as queueing or using background processes. There are so many complex operations that can be improved by looking at them in a new way. For example:
Not-so-Instant Oil Change
I like changing the oil in my car, but it often takes a bit of time (definitely not an 'instant!'), and involves the following:
- Drive to auto parts store, pick up oil and oil wrench, and drive back (30 minutes).
- Jack up front of car on stands (5 minutes).
- Drain oil into oil pan, remove old filter, prep new filter (5 minutes).
- Install new filter, refill oil reservoir (2 minutes).
- Remove jack stands, clean up mess (5 minutes).
- Drive to oil disposal center with old oil in pan, and drive back (20 minutes).
Total elapsed time: Over 1 hour! Maybe it's worth spending a few extra bucks on an 'instant' oil change to get back 45 minutes of my life.