Sr. Anne Flanagan
This presentation was given at the 2011 Catholic New Media Conference. Below are my notes on the presentation:
"Go teach the gospel. We have all been commissioned. What is the next step?" (Sister's introductory haiku).
Blessed James Alberione
- Has so much to teach us about being evangelizers in a culture of media.
- He was constantly connecting media ministry with vows in the orders he founded.
Looking at media apostolate in the light of the Angelus
"And she conceived by the Holy Spirit"
- Everything comes from God.
- Networks of collaborators (the Pauline family). "The mystical body of St. Paul."
- Always begin from Bethlehem. (Humble roots).
- We need to use our imaginations, our hearts and our minds.
"Be it done to me according to your Word"
- Chastity ≠ Sterility, but spiritual fruitfulness. It is an engine of creativity.
- We should be forming a new mentality in society; we must be receptive (let it be done to me).
- From the tabernacle, Jesus instructs; "I am your light and I will use you to enlighten..."
- Let everyone be a beacon, an evangelist, a secretary of St. Paul.
- Your life should be transformed by the message.
- "Saints are needed for these yet untrodden paths." This is a universalcall to holiness.
- The laity must complete/supply what is lacking in the heirarchical apostolate. This is our baptismal priesthood.
- The Church needs life apologists today—not necessarily people who can explain theological realities.
- How does Church teaching intersect with life? In marriages and family life?
- Your faith is something grand and glorious, that you should parade down the road!
- Don't hide behind too many words of the Catechism and teaching.
- We need the ability to detect needs and respond.
- Where shall we get our strength? From the Eucharist: "Light, comfort, nourishment, victory over evil."
"And dwelt among us"
- Obedience: makes receptivity to the Word manifest. Not a passive obedience.
- If you remain in step with the Church, you will continue to be dynamic, successful, and effective. Not just starting with the Church; staying with the Church.
- Don't speak only of religion, but speak of everythingin a Christian manner.
- Penetrate all thought and learning with the Gospel.
- Every communications development has sparked a 'New Evangelization'
- That's what's happening among us today: A new culture is rising up—a young, global culture. It has the effects of human sin, and the seeds of the Gospel.
- These are new means of divine providence.
- bit.ly/autobiog - Alberione's writings.
Thanks for the notes on all the talks! They're really helpful!